Three cheese macaroni and cheese recipe that features a creamy sauce and bread crumb topping.
Try this rich and creamy macaroni and cheese for the ultimate comfort food. With the bread crumb topping covering the creamy macaroni this can be a main course or a side dish.
It’s been a process converting from the boxed macaroni and cheese to homemade. Along the way I’ve tried many different recipes until I finally found one that isn’t time-consuming and tastes good. It’s tricky finding that perfect combination of sauce and cheese.
When I set out to come up with the perfect combo, it had to include cheese that didn’t require a treasure hunt to find. I also didn’t want the cheeses involved to cost a lot. Sometimes I do mix up the shredded cheese depending on what cheese I have on hand. A combination of 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar jack cheese and 1/2 cup of shredded mild white cheddar works out great too! My goal was a realistic recipe that could be incorporated into a busy life.
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup shredded mild white cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup plain dry bread crumbs
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease a 2 quart casserole dish with butter
- Cook pasta according to directions
- In a medium saucepan melt better over medium heat
- Whisk in flour, salt and pepper
- Turn heat down to low
- Gradually whisk in milk, cook until slightly thickened
- Add the Parmesan cheese
- Add the shredded cheddar cheese
- Stir until smooth, remove from heat
- Pour the pasta into the prepared casserole dish
- Pour in the cheese sauce
- Sprinkle top with mozzarella cheese
- Sprinkle top with bread crumbs
- Cover and bake for 25 minutes
- Remove cover and bake for an additional 5 minutes, until top is golden brown